Sunday 31 August 2008

The star of the show (a flashback)

This was a post I put on Myspace from Feb 07 when I first tried to motivate myself in the world of blogging pretty unsuccessfully. I thought I would consolidate on my new blog now that I am trying again...

Last Sunday night I was worshipping God from the back of a crowd of 15,000 people under the starry skies of the New Zealand countryside. I was hanging at Parachute Festival & the experience included all the trappings (fancy lights, big stage, superscreens!) plus Third Day leading the worship. It was a great time & I really felt like I connected with God.

Last night I was again worshipping God but this time there was about 15 people from the worship team at Toowoomba City Church (which I have just joined) and we were being led by Evan Shelton with an unmiked piano, a dodgy vocal mic & the song words courtesy of an OHP (that's 'over head projector' for those of you too young to remember!).

What really struck me in the middle of our worship last night was that the most magnificent aspect of my worship experience from last Sunday night was also the case last night - we were in the presence of our amazing living creator God. The truth is that all the fancy production & big crowds in the world cannot begin to reflect the nature of the one we worship, sometimes I think they are actually just a distraction.

Doing what I do it can be so easy to get caught up in the trappings but last night I was reminded again that all that really matters is our hearts connecting with Jesus.

No comments: