Tuesday 24 August 2010

Will that be Lite, Traditional or Mega Cut for your steak sir?

Hog's Breath Cafe is definitely a favourite eating spot & when ordering 18 hour slow roasted prime rib I always try to leave no questions for the person taking the order once I'm done: "I'll have the traditional size, medium rare with Byron Bay chilli sauce (which is amazing by the way), veggies & curly fries with mushroom sauce on the side."


There are more choices than you can poke a stick at & that is just for the prime rib, let alone everything else on the menu.  Despite the fact that I almost always order more than I need they definitely cater to the desired portion of every individual.


Psalm 73:26 says: "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and MY PORTION forever."  For weeks I have been pondering this description of God as 'My Portion'.  What does that even mean?  A portion doesn't really mean anything without some sort of context - it could be big or small, vegetarian or a mixed grill.


Then it hit me - it doesn't say "a portion".  It isn't talking about just anyone's portion, what Joe feels like eating today or what Bill had yesterday.  It isn't even talking about what I ordered last time.  He is MY portion - precisely what I need right now, and what's better is that He knows what I need better than I do myself.


"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9


One last thought: while I was studying to write this I discovered another use of the same Hebrew word translated "portion" in Psalm 73.  It is in Deuteronomy 32:9 and says: "For the Lord's portion is His people…"  Give that some thought!

2 comments:

Nev Harris said...

Byron Bay Chilli Sauce heh!!!

Tim Kerr said...

Hey Dave, Seriously THANKS for posting that. It's the right word at the right time for me. Keep up the good work!