Wednesday 4 February 2009

Thoughts for artists #2

This is a great quote from Spurgeon on the sacred v's the secular that I read recently on James Macpherson's awesome blog (http://jamesmacpherson.blogspot.com/)...
"THE SEPERATION at what is called, “religious,” from the, “secular,” is one of the greatest possible mistakes. There is no such thing as a religion of Sundays, and of chapels and churches.
"At least though there is such a thing, it is not worth having. The religion of Christ is a religion for seven days in the week—a religion for every place and for every act!

"And it teaches men, whether they eat, or drink, or whatever they do, to do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and to the glory of God! I pray that you may be kept from falling away from that religion, and that you may be kept up to the mark in serving the Lord in all things and attending diligently to the little commonplace matters of daily life."
So how then is it possible to be an artist & consider yourself to be a Christian but not to consider yourself a "Christian artist"? To me that is like not wanting to be considered a "Christian human"!

2 comments:

christina said...

This is an interesting thought.

What annoys me is how we have turned the word 'christian' into a descriptive word.

"Christian music"
"Christian book"

music, books and such can't follow Christ, people can... So although I can see the reason behind it... I find it limits peoples attitude towards stuff.

I think it seems to suggest that 'christian' stuff is exclusive to Christians... so non believers judge the music and such before even giving it a chance.

Jesus died for people, not music.

Christian is not a genre and it shouldn't be limited to that.

So, while I believe that Christian artists should stay true to their beliefs in their music, not necessarily singing to or about God though, i don't think they should have to identify themselves as a 'christian band'

Dave said...

Hey christina

I couldn't agree more with what you have said here. As the events coordinator for Easterfest I find myself hating calling it a Christian Music Festival not because I am apologetic about it being fundamentally Christian in vision but because people seem to read that as: "CHRISTIAN MUSIC" festival if you know what I mean!

Dave